Inn at Laurel Point - Victoria, BC, V8V 1Z8, Canada

Passport Info

A simple look at current Passport rules:

Visitors from United States of America

You do not need a visa to visit or transit in Canada if you are a United States citizen or a person lawfully admitted to the United States for permanent residence who is in possession of their alien registration card (Green card) or can provide other evidence of permanent residence.

Other accepted documents:

  • U.S. Passport Card, or
  • Trusted Traveler Program Card (NEXUS, SENTRI or FAST card), or
  • Enhanced Driver’s License (currently issued only in Washington & New York States)

All visitors arriving from or transiting through the United States are encouraged to visit for information concerning the U.S. Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative, and the requirements to enter or return to the United States.

Visitors from Europe

European passport holders do not require a visa to visit Canada. All you need is a valid passport, a return ticket and sufficient funds to support yourself and your dependents during your stay in Canada. European visitors to Canada who wish to also visit the United States must possess valid passports to be admitted; residents of Portugal are further required to have a visa.

Although it is rare, immigration officials may prevent the entry of visitors:

  • who appear to pose a health risk.
  • those they doubt will be able to support themselves and their dependents in Canada.
  • whose willingness and means to return to the U.S. is in doubt.

As well, those admissible to Canada must not have a criminal record. This includes any convictions for driving while intoxicated.

If you have questions about your admissibility to enter Canada, contact your nearest Canadian Embassy or Consulate for consultation.

Visitors from the U.S. who are not American Citizens

Permanent residents of the United States (anyone with a Green Card) do not need to carry a passport or travel documents to enter Canada if entering by ferry.

Temporary residents of the United States (anyone who carries a Temporary Resident Card, Form 1-688, or Employment Authorization Card, 1-688A or 1-688B) must carry a passport and may also require a visa depending on their country of citizenship.

Citizens of other countries who wish to enter Canada through the United States must also carry a valid passport and may require a visa, which they should obtain from a Canadian Embassy or Consulate outside Canada. Those in this category should check with an office of the U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Service before they enter Canada.

2013 Reader's Choice Awards - Conde Nast Traveler Carbon Nuetral Shop Chat